[OpenAFS] What's the status of 2.6 linux kernel support?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:10:08 -0700

On Monday, August 02, 2004 16:22:11 -0400 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Kelly Brown wrote:
>
>> Latest information I was able to find said that you have to recompile
>> your  kernel in order to get an afs client working on 2.6.  Is that true?
>
> No. If you want PAGs, yes. But the client will work without a kernel
> recompile, with no PAGs.

Actually, that's not precisely true.  You get PAG's; you just don't get the
property that PAG membership survives a call to setgroups().

So, at login time or after running su, you will likely have tokens
associated with your UID.  But if a user runs pagsh explicitly, the
resulting shell will be in an independent PAG.