[OpenAFS] What's a PAG?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:00:04 -0700

Andreas <ahasenack@terra.com.br> writes:
> Todd M. Lewis wrote:

>> structure is identified by a UNIX UID rather than a PAG, then the local
>> superuser root can assume a UNIX UID and use any tokens associated with
>> that UID. Use of a PAG as an identifier eliminates that possibility.

> But nothing stops the same superuser from obtaining/reading this PAG also,
> right? It's just more difficult I assume.

Right.  I don't like that part of the pagsh documentation, since it
implies that PAGs protect against meddling by root, when they only protect
against very casual meddling.  What they *do* do is protect against
accidents where various processes running as a particular user stomp on or
get mixed up with each other's tokens.