[OpenAFS] Documentation vs. Reality

pll+afs@permabit.com pll+afs@permabit.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:56:01 -0400

I noticed on this page:

http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/WindowsConfigurationReferenceGuide#Encryption_of_Network_Traffic

the statement:

  Historically, AFS did not support encrypted network traffic. This
  has changed in recent years. The support is off by default in order to
  be compatible with old servers. You enable and disable encryption
  through the value SecurityLevel (type DWORD) in
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\
  Parameters. Set to 1 to enable and 0 to disable.

Yet when I visit this entry in regedit, the type is 'REG_DWORD' and
the data is '0x00000001 (1)' not 0 as indicated is the default.

Have things changed since this doc was written, or is there something
during installation I might have done to change the default?
Or, will the client sense some configuration on the AFS sever and
set this accordingly?

Thanks,

--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE