[OpenAFS] Heavy performance loss on gigabit ethernet

Dale Ghent daleg@umbc.edu
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:07:50 -0400

On Aug 18, 2004, at 6:38 PM, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> So the problem seems to be caused by the switches which do not
> understand
> jumbo-frames. But: what can I do beside reducing the server-speed to
> 100Mbs? I use already '-nojumbo' for the server-processes, but this
> does
> not have an effect (see the tcpdump above which shows 'jumbograms'):

set the MTU of your ethernet interface to 1500, perhaps?

You may still use gig-e speeds with the traditional MTU of 1500. Use of
1000Mb ethernet does not necessarily  require the use of jumbo frames
as well.

/dale