[OpenAFS] file corruption after restoring large readonly volumes

Brendan Kirby bkirby@mvista.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:17:15 -0700

I have several AFS volumes that have between 1.5 and 11 Gigabytes of
data on them.  These volumes are replicated to a remote server that is
on the other side of a slow 3 Mbps link.  Since the data on the volumes
usually doesn't change much, a "vos release" takes at most an hour.

I've recently run into a problem where I have to re-replicate several of
these volumes to the remote server.  Since copying all this data would
saturate my link for nearly three days, I'm trying to dump the volumes
to a large hard drive, hand carry the drive to the other server, then do
a restore from the drive.  But, when I do this, and then do a "vos
release" the newly restored readonly volume is corrupted.

Here is essentially the commands I'm running:
vos dump vol.readonly > /path/to/disk/dumpfile

Drive to remote location, hook up the drive to the other machine, then:
vos restore -server remote-server -partition /vicepb -name vol -id vol.readonly -readonly -overwrite full < /path/to/disk/dumpfile
vos release vol

I then look through the volume and either I'm missing files or when I
read some files I get "failed: Input/output error" errors.  When I
remove the volume, the files are back to normal.

I'm running OpenAFS 1.2.11 on Linux RedHat 7.3.  Any help you can give
me would be very much appreciated.

Brendan