[OpenAFS] Maximum partition size limitation

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:06:01 +0200

On Aug 26, 2004, at 1:53 AM, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Dennis O. Aliev wrote:
>
>> Apologies if this is mentioned in documentation:
>>
>> Is AFS facing similiar 2TB maximum partition size limitation as
>> ext2/3 or reiserfs?
> I don't know the volume size limits, but you should use the same
> thought processes for AFS as you do for LVM.  You normally use lots of
> relatively small volumes which mount at specific locations.

I think the question was asked with a different purpose. You can't
solve the problem with any existing partition limits by creating more
volumes.

> Give some specifics on directory structure, and we might have some
> implementation tips.

You sort of answered your question yourself if you talked about the
fileserver. That's where that limit might be a problem. Fileservers
store their data into a filesystem so you will have the same limits.

If you talked about the client. That's different ... but you don't have
any blocks and blocksizes like blockdevices do, so the limits won't
apply there.

Horst