[OpenAFS] Commercial use of OpenAFS ?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:44:34 -0400

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 10:34, EC wrote:
> Hmm... What do *you* think of it (since you seem to be related to MIT which
> uses it as far as I know) ?
>
> BTW : I'm playing around with it for almost two weeks now and have my Linux
> (LFS 5.1.1 based, 2.4.27 kernel, 1.2.11 OpenAFS) crashed more than once when
> trying to configure / use OpenAFS.

I'd tend to suspect Linux in that case; it's difficult (to say the
least) to support the enormous profusion of Linux kernel versions, each
with its own VFS idiosyncrasies, and with random vendor patches on top
of it.  (We regularly see VFS deadlocks with OpenAFS on a particular
kernel revision for SuSE 8.0; I'm not enough of a kernel hacker to be
able to even begin to diagnose why using AFS on those kernels eventually
causes *local* disk accesses to deadlock.)

Aside from Linux issues of that variety, OpenAFS has been quite stable
for us --- and, well, AFS is the sine-qua-non of computing at Carnegie
Mellon.  :)

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu