[OpenAFS] Maximum partition size limitation

Mike Fedyk mfedyk@matchmail.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:05:41 -0700

Hartmut Reuter wrote:

> Horst Birthelmer wrote:
>
>>> A volume has a file size limit of X in OpenAFS 1.3 (2GB in 1.2), and
>>> a volume size limit of Y.  But also remember the AFS volumes are
>>> stored within a filesystem on the file server and that has its own
>>> limits depending on the version of the OS you're running.
>>>
>>> So what are the theoretical and known working values of X and Y?
>>>

>> X would be the biggest 64 Bits number on Linux and AIX (AFAIK) 2GB on
>> the rest of them.
>> Y can be anything up to your partition size as long as you didn't set
>> volume quotas. ;-)
>> partition size is limited by your OS.
>

> The number of blocks is stored in a afs_int32 in the volume-header.
> This gives a
> limitation of  ~2 TB per volume in OpenAFS. In MR-AFS I was already
> forced
> to change the field to afs_uint32 gaining another 2 TB. Here the
> largest volume
> has 2951431739 blocks which, of course, are not resident on disk.

Yes, that's the exact type of answer I was looking for, thank you.

So, have you used an AFS volume >2TB and <4TB or even ~2TB on OpenAFS?

Are there any plans to get past the 64K (depending of file name length,
IIRC that's 64K entries if they're all <32 chars long) max entries in a
directory?