[OpenAFS] Re: AFS Perl module and threaded Perl

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 01:01:44 -0800

Norbert Gruener <nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE> writes:

> Here is my description which I had sent to some users of my module.

> ------------------------ problem description -------------------------
> And this is the outcome.  Perl in the "thread" version is linked
> against the "libpthread" system library.  Therefore it gets the
> "thread" version of the system calls (in our case "longjmp").  Whereas
> OpenAFS is using its "own threading" package (called LWP).  And these
> two things are not compatible.

I don't understand... LWP doesn't provide its own version of longjmp, so
far as I can tell.  It just calls the system version.

> I could prove that by linking the OpenAFS "vos" binary against the
> "libpthread".  Then the "vos" binary crashed exactly on the same
> statement as the Perl AFS module.

Is it perhaps doing something that breaks some assumption made by the
pthread version of the libraries?

> The final conclusion of this case is that "as long as OpenAFS is using
> its own threading, it is not possible to use Perl with 'threading'".

Even if this is the case, this shouldn't be an impediment to getting the
AFS Perl module working, should it?  After all, none of the *client* code
does any threading at all.  Can't it just be built with the same libraries
that Perl is built with?