[OpenAFS] Re: AFS Perl module and threaded Perl

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:06:08 -0500

>Well, I think the most basic question here is why is vsu_ClientInit
>calling LWP_CreateProcess at all.  Does the client really need to be
>threaded?
>
>Is someone who knows the OpenAFS code better than I able to fill us in off
>the top of their head?  Do the client binaries really use LWP threads to
>handle the network conversations with the servers?

When I had looked at this a while ago (for something else), I discovered
that the client side code uses the LWP code for waiting for the network
data (I think it's using IOMGR, which is part of LWP).  That's buried
deep within rx.  I'm not sure if they actually use LWP threads or not,
though.

--Ken