[OpenAFS] 'rxi_AllocPacket: packet not free' with Kernel 2.6 and OpenAFS 1.3.73

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:29:49 -0500

On Thursday, December 02, 2004 13:25:22 +0100 Tom Fischer
<tom.fischer@ebuz.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:56:12 +0100
> Frank Burkhardt <fbo2@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a problem writing data to AFS using an OpenAFS-1.3.73-Client
>> on Linux (Kernel 2.6.9, Debian GNU/Linux). Read access seems to work
>> fine, i read >10 Gigabytes successfully. But after writing some data
>> (some Megabytes), I Get this error message:
>>
>>  rxi_AllocPacket: packet not free
>>
>> and a Kernel Oops (it's attached to this mail).
>> Is there a solution for this problem?
>
> Same here. Kernel 2.6.9 Gentoo Linux, OpenAFS 1.3.73 Client. Reading
> works fine, writing a few bytes and the cache manager crashes.

Neither of you have said what architecture you're talking about, so I'll
assume it's probably i386.  So far most of my 2.6 work has been on amd64,
but I do have an i386 machine that's been running 2.6.6 for months without
problems.  I can try to reproduce this, but it would be helpful if you
could provide some additional information.

If this is a kernel you built yourself from the kernel.org sources, it
would be very helpful to have a copy of the .config file from the kernel
source tree.  Hopefully that will enable me to track down what setting you
have enabled that is triggering the problem.

If you got the kernel from a distribution, I need to know exactly what
package and version you used, so I can go find the same sources and
configuration that were used to build your kernel.  Often distribution
vendors add a variety of patches of their own, and sometimes these change
things that we're depending on.

You said you observed this problem running OpenAFS-1.3.73.
If possible, it would be helpful to know if you can reproduce the problem
with the current CVS version.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer