[OpenAFS] rought timeline for 1.4.x

Michael Niksch nik@zurich.ibm.com
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:33:21 +0100

 > The thing which is preventing the release of 1.3.7x as a stable 1.4
 > tree is lack of deployment and testing by users.  There has been very
 > little feedback both positive or negative on the existing releases.
 > Without this feedback it is very difficult for us to know whether or
 > not it is ready.

I'd be happy to provide feedback on 1.3.7x for the AIX platform if I
could get it to work at all. Unfortunately, it looks like the few
developers concerned about AIX never actually compile the release code.
It looks more like they have different variants of CVS snapshots plus
their personal set of patches that rarely make it back into the source
tree. I am not sure how development for other platforms is done, but if
it works in a similar way, I doubt we will ever see a stable
cross-platform release again. I don't want to blame the AIX folks or
anyone else in particular for this. I can't tell whose fault it is, I
just know something is going wrong.

--
Michael Niksch                     /Zurich/IBM @ IBMCH
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory     nik@zurich.ibm.com