[OpenAFS] strange IP tunnel behavior

Wes Chow wes@woahnelly.net
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:25:40 -0500

I've got a machine running a 1.2.11 client (2.4.27 kernel) through an
IP tunnel (using vtun).  When I transfer large files, I get about
12Mbps.  A separate ssh session during this transfer is reasonably
responsive.

However, when I compile on the machine (while still transfering the
large files), the total transfer rate not only drops to about 1 Mbps,
but the responsiveness in ssh seriously degrades to the point where
it's almost unusable.  This appears to happen only with the
client that's operating through an IP tunnel.

Unfortunately, I only have one machine operating on the other side of
the tunnel, so I can't tell if it's an AFS thing or maybe that machine
is just messed up.  I'll have another machine to test with soon, but
in the meantime, does anybody have any ideas what might be causing
this to happen?

Thanks,
Wes

--
http://www.woahnelly.net/~wes/          OpenPGP key = 0xA5CA6644
fingerprint = FDE5 21D8 9D8B 386F 128F  DF52 3F52 D582 A5CA 6644