[OpenAFS] Module load fails (Was: rought timeline for 1.4.x)

Turbo Fredriksson turbo@bayour.com
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:26:56 +0100

    Hendrik> Thus spake Jeffrey Altman (jaltman@columbia.edu):
    >> The thing which is preventing the release of 1.3.7x as a stable
    >> 1.4 tree is lack of deployment and testing by users.  There has
    >> been very little feedback both positive or negative on the
    >> existing releases.

    Hendrik> I'm using 1.3.73 as client on i386 Linux 2.6.9 without
    Hendrik> any problems for a month or so. Can't comment on the
    Hendrik> server, since that's 1.2.11 still (on i386 linux 2.4).

I'm trying out the client - named 'pumba' (1.3.74-1.TF.1 - a recompile
of the experimental Debian GNU/Linux package for my woody system) on
kernel 2.6.9/i386 (2xPII). The server is a woody system, running
OpenAFS version 1.2.11-1.TF.1 - also a recompile for woody - on
kernel 2.6.8.1/SPARC64 (2xUltraSPARC III) - named 'aurora'.

Aurora is also the MIT Kerberos V server, running version 1.3.5-1.TF.2.

Trying to load the 'openafs' module on 'pumba', I get the message:

----- s n i p -----
Failed to find address of sys_call_table
----- s n i p -----

However, the 'libafs' module loads, and /afs is mounted (cache
is not on separate partition/mounted as 'ext2'). But I
can't get a token:

----- s n i p -----
aklog: unable to obtain tokens for cell bayour.com (status: a pioctl failed).

Browsing of my cell works fine, until I reach a directory where I don't
have anonymous read access (naturally :).

This is probably because it can't load the 'openafs' module though...
The question is "why can't the module be loaded"? I compile both kernel
and module using the Debian GNU/Linux tools (which works successfully
on the current workstation, see below) on another 2xPII, running the same
softwares and packages as 'pumba'.

However, I do get 'afs@BAYOUR.COM':