[OpenAFS] rought timeline for 1.4.x

Michael Niksch nik@zurich.ibm.com
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:17:38 +0100

 > No stable cross-platform release. Well, either they're all one
 > platform or they aren't. So you either said it already, or not.

What I mean by "stable cross-platform release" is a single
openafs-1.4.0-src.tar.gz that can be successfully configured, made, and
run on all supported platforms - as opposed to something like "if you
have platform X, read through openafs-devel to find that you need to
download patches from URL Y, tweak them a bit as they are actually meant
for 1.3.99, apply, configure, make (but be sure to compile ab.c with
optimization turned off), and copy cfgafs manually to the dest tree as
it gets erroneously commented out in the Makefile when configuring for
your platform".

Don't get me wrong, I am well aware that many people already do a great
job by just identifying such bugs and finding solutions to them. It's
just that, eventually, those solutions also need to make it into actual
releases if people are to experience OpenAFS as a mature piece of
software. It will always be an issue to port OpenAFS to new platforms,
but I bet this will be a lot easier if starting with reasonably clean
code for the existing ones.

--
Michael Niksch                     /Zurich/IBM @ IBMCH
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory     nik@zurich.ibm.com