[OpenAFS] You ever seen clients POUND a tiny RO replicated volume?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:14:03 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Yes, I've seen stuff like that before.  I've usually ended up tracking
>> it down to either a well-intentioned student script that is doing some
>> while (1) equivalent in conjunction with file access, often on multiple
>> machines, or a piece of badly written vendor software (yes, I know
>> that's redundant) that doesn't understand the concept of permission
>> denied and goes into a tight loop constantly retrying whatever disk
>> write it was trying to do.

> curiosity, what client versions, and can you fstrace on them?

I'll do that the next time that it comes up; the client version has been
various versions of OpenAFS 1.2.x with x in the 6-13 range, and probably
earlier versions as well.