[OpenAFS] Re: RH9, 2.4.20-30.9smp, AFS 1.2.13 afsd lockup

Joe Buehler jbuehler@spirentcom.com
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:29:16 -0500

Mike Polek wrote:

> I attempted to upgrade to 1.2.13 on a RedHat 9 box
> with a 2.4.29-30.9smp kernel. Everything was fine on
> the uniprocessor kernel. But I get complete lockup
> of the machine requiring me to do a hardware reset
> with the smp kernel.

I reported a bug some time ago with similar symptoms.
In my case, it was due to samba using mmap() against
files stored in AFS -- the AFS code implementing mmap()
for linux can deadlock the machine.

I also submitted a simple patch to fix the problem.
I don't know whether it ever made it into a release,
though.
--
Joe Buehler