[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and XFS

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:53:36 -0500

<brettholcomb@charter.net> writes:

> Sorry, I'm using webmail today and didn't notice the list defaulted to replying to you.

It should be the default on ALL lists.  Lists that reply to the list
are Bad because it makes it hard for a user to actually respond privately
when a private response in warranted.

> At this time I don't have any partitions available and don't want to have to create them.

RTFM.

> How big a hit does no cache give you?

You cannot run with "no cache".  You must run with _some_ cache, even if
it's a small memory cache.  It means you'll have to go off to the network
on every request that isn't in the cache, which means all reads will be
network-latent as opposed to local-disk-latent.  OTOH, it depends how much
cache thrashing you expect on your system.

-derek