[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and XFS

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:16:06 -0800

Actually one system has a ext3 loopback file mounted at /usr/vice/cache =
and
the other has a 10 Gb/afs_ext3 (/dev/sda1) directly pointed to in the
cacheinfo and the 230Gb /vicepa is on /dev/sda2. I.e. both cache and =
/vicepa
are on the same disk controller.

Since I'm using hpt_rraid_133 pci cards and 4 120GB drives set up as =
raid
0/1 per controller, if the OS file system crashes I can easily move the =
the
controller card and the 4 drives to another system and come right back =
up.

I've had to do this with both of my 2K server boxes after 6 sequential =
power
outages ran the MGE EX20 ups's down and trashed the C: drives. Both =
machines
blue screened. Of course I didn't have the smtp ports listening to the =
ups
for a power warning which would trigger a soft shutdown! Fortunately the
raid controllers were on the D: drive and my archived data survived =
intact
on both 2K servers.

My linux boxes survived quite well.

I'm basically looking for 50+ year longevity for the files, independent =
of
the hardware and need to get to a redundant central file server from =
remote
locations in Alaska. Then my clients can get to site technical data and =
hi
res digital pictures either by ftp or afs.

I'm really impressed by AFS. There are 2 250Gb P3 file servers up and
running here. They cost about $1500 ea.

The cheap IDE raid works fine. I pulled a cable off 2 drives to test it =
and
there's a utility hptraid that will rescan and resync the 4 ide drives..

Tedc