[OpenAFS] HELP! We 've lost our sync site

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:01:57 -0500

On Saturday, January 10, 2004 14:23:37 -0500 "Mosley, Mike"
<jmmosley@uncc.edu> wrote:

> I have not seen the notes about the Ubik time overflow problem.  I'm
> currently runnint 1.2.10 under Solaris 9.  I can drop back to 1.2.8.  Is
> there anyway I can correct the problem for the short term to correct the
> problem while I prepare to back down to the earlier version?

Backing out will not help you.  This problem has been present at least
since AFS 3.1, which is the oldest source I have handy to look at.  The
problem is not that you picked up a bug in a newer version; the broken
behaviour simply doesn't happen before 10-Jan-2004 13:38:03 UTC.

The way to fix the problem is to apply the single-bit patch described in
ticket #2926, which is available as delta ubik-election-epoch-fix-20040110
for the head, or STABLE12-ubik-election-epoch-fix-20040110 for the 1.2.x
branch.  These patches can be downloaded from the following URL's:

For the head (1.3.x):

http://www.openafs.org/cgi-bin/wdelta/MAIN/ubik-election-epoch-fix-20040110
?diff&f=u

http://www.openafs.org/cgi-bin/wdelta/openafs-stable-1_2_x/STABLE12-ubik-el
ection-epoch-fix-20040110?diff&f=u

If you're not building from source, the fix appears in 1.2.11; it looks
like that will probably be released later today.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer