[OpenAFS] HELP! We 've lost our sync site

Tracy Di Marco White afs-info@gendalia.org
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:55:41 -0600

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58-035.0401101551500.1297@johnstown.andrew.cmu.edu>, Derrick J Brashear writes:
>On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, John Hascall wrote:
>

>> What are my odds of getting (patched) OpenAFS vlserver/ptserver
>> to play nice with my Transarc/IBM AFS fileservers/clients?
>
>Pretty good. Why not also upgrade the fileservers? (You don't need to)

Unscheduled downtime is part of it.  Our most loaded machine takes about
an hour to come back up from a clean shutdown right now, and probably
almost half that to shut down.  That doesn't include doing the upgrade,
which should be quick enough.  The cell DBs being read only doesn't
actually affect most of our users, taking down the fileservers would.
Being the Saturday before the Monday spring semester starts is also part
of it.  We have somewhat of a plan for upgrading to OpenAFS, and now isn't
part of the plan unless it becomes critical.

Everything has just worked with the OpenAFS DBs and the fileservers
still running Transarc AFS, which is nice.

-Tracy