[OpenAFS] Dear Transarc, I Quit! Love, Moose

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 06:07:04 -0800

The IBM documentation is excellent.

It fact that AFS compiles and runs file systems on HPUX, UNIX, AIX, =
Linux,
Solaris and SunOS is a testimony to a diligent software effort.

Tedc
RPI '64

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org =
[mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Garance A Drosihn
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 6:12 PM
To: John Hascall; openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Dear Transarc, I Quit! Love, Moose

At 8:43 AM -0600 1/11/04, John Hascall wrote:

>I too would like to express my thanks to
>IBM/Transarc/name-of-the-week for sticking a big fat
>knife in my workplace politics. ...
>
>Seriously, my real thanks go to the OpenAFS developers and
>community for giving me a way to put our cell back together
>on a critical weekend without any eye-bleeding.

I think that we should be fair, and note that OpenAFS exists
because IBM decided to open-source the code.  They explicitly
told people that IBM support for AFS was "on it's way out",
and all that is happening now is they are living up to that
claim.  They could have let all this technology just dry up,
but at least they decided to open-source the code that they
*could* open-source.

If it wasn't for that, the "OpenAFS community" would not be
in the shape it is in now.  IBM expected us to stand on our
own feet, and thanks to a lot of work from various OpenAFS
developers, it's clear that the community is able to do that.

--=20
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =3D   gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu