[OpenAFS] AFS and WebDAV

Mark Montague markmont@umich.edu
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:55:04 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, John Rudd wrote:

> Has anyone set up a WebDAV server on top of AFS?  Especially if you're
> then using that for a file sharing mechanism (like windows "web
> folders", MacOS X "Connect" in Finder, etc.).  Do you have any thoughts
> about how to make it work in a way that preserves user identity in the
> access and such?

Yes, we're using mod_dav-1.0.3-1.3.6 on top of Apache 1.3.29 with
cosign-1.1.3 to provide the authentication.  This combination
has the potential to preserve the user identity, but we have not
pursued this yet -- right now, our Apache server runs with a
special AFS user identity and tokens are automatically renewed
by a script we wrote.  Cosign will obtain AFS tokens for each
specific authenticated user (and switch between them appropriately)
but as I said we do not have this set up yet here.

We restrict access to DAV to HTTPS only.

We're not using DAV for filesharing, just for updating web pages
on the server.  A variety of DAV clients are in use.

Information on cosign is available at http://weblogin.org/

                Mark Montague
                LS&A Information Technology
                The Univeristy of Michigan