[OpenAFS] AFS and WebDAV

Mark Montague markmont@umich.edu
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:31:38 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Leif Johansson wrote:

> I am curious - have you found any problems with cookie-support in WebDAV
> clients? I have tried similar setups with pubcookie but WebDAV clients
> are not required to implement cookies which gets in the way of using
> many WebISO mechanisms with webdav. Also redirects are tricky to get
> right since you are typically editing text/plain and not text/html -
> most redirection is done using meta-tags...
>
> I'm interested in hearing more details about your setup.

Very good point... Unless you're using a browser as your client
(most of ours users use IE 6 to access WebDav), this will probably
be a roadblock for most users/sites.

Most redirection in cosign is not done using meta tags (cosign
uses the Location header instead, generally), so that is not a
problem here as long as the DAV client honors the redirection.

For a quicker easier solution that works with more clients,
use mod_auth_kerb for authentication.  We used to use (and
still do to some extent) version 4.13.  It will authenticate
users (we're running AFS with an MIT Kerberos 5 realm),
although the AFS access will still be done using the special
token that the web server runs with instead of the user's
token.

                Mark Montague
                LS&A Information Technology
                The University of Michigan