[OpenAFS] AFS vs DAV

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@bkbox.com
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:02:35 -0800

Hi John,

You're welcome to try my own GPL'ed my own solution for OpenAFS + WebDAV
with cookies and single sign-on in Apache.  It's in the form or two perl
modules available here:

http://bkbox.com/~noel/open/Apache-AuthKrb5Afs-1.01.tar.gz
http://bkbox.com/~noel/open/Auth-Krb5Afs-1.0.tar.gz

I wouldn't throw away OpenAFS and replace it with WebDAV, but running WebDAV
on top of OpenAFS gives users easy access to OpenAFS without installing the
client.  And you can cluster your WebDAV servers.

I've tested with Windows "Web Folders".  It's a slightly sketchy
implementation, but it does the job.  It basically lets you do something
like FTP (file upload and download only) through HTTPS (encrypted passwords
are a good thing).

WebDAV just doesn't do most jobs I want to to, like using my CVS repository
on my OpenAFS home, or having a single home directory from anywhere.

Some problems with WebDAV implementations are:
1. they can't tell the difference between running a script and opening the
script file itself (because they use HTTP GET)
2. If you type a URL in a "Web Folder" bar, you revert to HTTP browsing, not
DAV.  Try it, you'll see.

But, it's still nice if you don't want to install the AFS client.

--Noel

--Noel