[OpenAFS] Is OpenAFS appropriate?

Hendrik Hoeth hendrik.hoeth@cern.ch
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:02:23 +0100

Hi,

> The good news is, it is running.

congratulations!

> I spent hours trying to understand uss.

:-)

> The bad news is that, in spite of using the pam modules, tokens are
> not being issued at login time. I have created a user with the same
> UID, password and login name, configured pam.d/login and pam.d/sshd to
> use the afs pam module, and yet, no tokens.

Can you post your pam.d/login ? What messages do you get in your
/var/log/... files? (auth.log on my system, may be different on yours)

> Getting volumes and volumes management straight is another challenge.

Well, that depends on your needs.

> And then there are backups.

We use vos backup (nightly, using bos cron) and then vos dump the backup
volumes. Backup volumes are addidionally mounted into the /afs tree, so
that the users can access their home directories of the day before.

> It has taken me so very long to get this far.  I've read a lot of
> documentation. I don't know how much it is sticking. The learning
> curve is steep.

Know what you mean. I experienced the same. But it will become much
better with the time.

> You, the list members, have used/are using AFS. I guess what I want to
> know is, is it worth the continued effort, or are we entering a world
> of pain here?

No, AFS is not a world of pain. It's hard to get into it at first, but
now I don't spend much time for AFS anymore. It just works, I don't have
to touch it. From time to time creating a new user, or installing a new
client. Creating a new volume. Changing quota for someone.

Cheers,

   Hendrik

--
Je mehr ich plane, desto haerter trifft mich die Wirklichkeit.
(Friedrich Duerrenmatt)