[OpenAFS] Questions, vol 1.

Stephen Bosch posting@vodacomm.ca
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:00:50 -0700

Okay, folks -- you've convinced me. I'm not going to give up just yet...
if you'll help me a bit.

I have a bunch of questions.

1. When AFS mounts volumes in a physical partition, what happens to the
partition itself? I don't see any "files" that correspond in size to the
data stored on the partition. Can I make, say, a partition image and
still have the data, or do I have to use AFS native tools to do all the
backups?

Here's an example:
sfbosch@wopr vicepa $ ls -li
total 36
   65537 drwx------    5 root     root         4096 Jan 20 20:47 AFSIDat
   32769 drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Jan 19 21:11 Lock
      12 -rw-------    1 root     root           76 Jan 19 21:12
V0536870912.vol
      13 -rw-------    1 root     root           76 Jan 20 16:57
V0536870915.vol
      14 -rw-------    1 root     root           76 Jan 20 20:16
V0536870918.vol
      11 drwx------    2 root     root        16384 Jan 18 23:00 lost+found
sfbosch@wopr vicepa $

There is data in those volumes (certainly more than 76 blocks worth). I
presume the volume files are just metadata?

2. Can other processes write files to the partition, or is that a bad
idea (not that I'm planning to, but the answer will help me understand
better)?

3. Must the partition be called /vicepx(x), or can I name it whatever I
like?

Cheers,

-Stephen-