[OpenAFS] Is OpenAFS appropriate?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:22:15 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think we've got less than that, unless you count general account
>> management (which I wouldn't; we'd have to do that anyway).  Something
>> around 50% of an FTE to manage 4TB of disk space in 53,606 read/write
>> volumes.

> CMU thinks they're spending less of me than that on OpenAFS maintenance,
> as to administering it, uh, we do that occasionally.

It's only so high for us right now because we're in the middle of various
storage migrations.  Normally, five or six people on the operations team
know how to do basic AFS maintenance and the total amount of work we spend
on AFS administration is pretty much in the noise except during problems
of one sort or another.