[OpenAFS] OpenAFS + Linux +XP

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:38:47 -0800

1. It's the only blue screen in 4 years on a 2K server. But perhaps =
you're
right.
2. Your technical paper is excellent. Which brings up the next point:
3. The official documentation needs some serious upgrading.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org =
[mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Rodney M Dyer
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 9:14 AM
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: RE: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS + Linux +XP

At 11:30 AM 1/22/2004, Eggert, Richard W, II (Rich), GVSOL wrote:

>I find the integrated login to be very unstable (it causes blue screen
>of death and random reboots sometimes), so I don't use it.  Then again,
>I'm the only person using my cell (with multiple accounts), so I can do
>things however I want to.

Well I know this isn't right.  We've got well over 500 XP-SP1 machines =
of=20
all various flavors of processor and ram/disk sizes from Dell and=20
Gateway.  I've never once got a blue screen because of integrated=20
logon.  We've been running both Transarc (years) and OpenAFS (during the =

last year) without integrated logon problems.  You must be having other=20
problems with your systems.

The best way to handle multiple accounts on XP workstations is to go =
ahead=20
and do things right the first time by creating a proper MS AD domain.  =
You=20
will save yourself lots of grief this way.  Then, just create a script =
on=20
the AD server that syncronizes AD accounts with your unix password=20
file.  Note that our AD accounts have random passwords that the user's=20
don't know.  The AD is setup to trust the MIT K5 kdc credentials using=20
cross realm authentication.

See my website for more information...

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer
http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/krblogon.htm

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
Windows Systems Programmer
Mosaic Computing Group
William States Lee College of Engineering
Email: rmdyer@uncc.edu
Web: http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150