[OpenAFS] OpenAFS + Linux +XP

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:36:24 -0800

Yes but he did compile it himself which often corrects whatever..

Rodney's work provides a painless way to preserve user information on a
redundant file system. It also solves the SSO problem on mixed systems.

As stated before, when BOTH AD servers crash (multiple power outages) =
you're
in trouble.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org =
[mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Rodney M Dyer
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 10:20 AM
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS + Linux +XP

At 01:00 PM 1/22/2004, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>Rodney uses a modified version of the integrated login which performs =
the=20
>kinit and aklogsteps in an external process instead of relying on the =
k4=20
>support built into OpenAFS.  More than likely he is bypassing the cause =
of=20
>the blue screen.

You are correct.  We do use a minimally altered version of the AFS logon =

authenticator "afslogon.dll" that we compile=20
ourselves.  See...http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/afslogonshell.htm

The "altered" part is simply a single line of code addition for exec'ing =
a=20
shell.  But, we've only been using this method since we moved to=20
OpenAFS...since of course, I didn't have the source for Transarc's =
version=20
and other reasons.

But laughing, I would be surprised if anything I do "prevents" a blue=20
screen for us!  The normal "unmodified" AFS logon authenticator has =
never=20
failed on me.  I may be wrong, my memory is poor these days.  The code =
in=20
the OpenAFS authenticator DLL is pretty generic, I doubt there's =
anything=20
there that would cause a blue screen as none of it runs in the kernel.

Rodney