[OpenAFS] OpenAFS + Linux +XP

Tino Schwarze openafs-info.lists@tisc.de
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:27:48 +0100

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 02:08:07PM +0100, Christian Ospelkaus wrote:

> > > The only trouble here is that you will have to
> > >maintain both the Kerberos passwords and the SMB password hashes (probably
> > > in LDAP).
> >
> > This is what i'm hoping to avoid by using 'pam + samba + plain text
> > passwords'.
>
> I don't know. Is anybody doing this? I think apart from the fact that if you
> use plain text passwords, you loose all domain funcionality, acquiring AFS
> tokens by samba might be messy...

Letting Samba acquire tokens is easy - you just need a PAM-aware samba
and the right PAM config for Samba. The other disadvantages might be
more serious (like directing all traffic through one server).

For Windows >NT I'd suggest the native AFS client - you can still use
Samba for domain stuff.

Bye, Tino.