[OpenAFS] backup suggestions

Hendrik Hoeth hendrik.hoeth@cern.ch
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:34:52 +0100

Thus spake Matthew Hoskins (matt@njit.edu):

> We abandoned butc a while back adn started doing disk2disk2tape using
> cheap ATA disks and raid controlers as the middle "disk" in the
> equation.  We use a home grown utility to do rotating incremental
> backups (basically uses vos dump) , then use veritas netbackup to get
> the stuff on tape.   Its completely automated.

We use a similar approach: disk2disk with vos dump (we dump the
backup-volumes created nightly), and then disk2tape with networker. Big
dumps are cut into 2G chunks for convenience.

Backup is completely automated. Restore has to be done by hand, but
we're talking about a volume every few months or so which needs to be
restored (user can access the backup volumes themselves, so if they
delete something by accident, usually they get it back without the need
of restoring a backup from tape).

Hendrik

--
Je mehr ich plane, desto haerter trifft mich die Wirklichkeit.
(Friedrich Duerrenmatt)