[OpenAFS] volume exists without a VLDB entry

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:11:55 -0500

On Friday, January 23, 2004 07:36:59 +0000 Ron Croonenberg
<ronc@depauw.edu> wrote:

> I "inherited" an AFS server and I am trying to clean it up etc. Problem I
> have right now is that there are volumes that don't have a VLDB entry.
>
> It is a volume that is not needed (not even in use, AFS reports it has a
> size (approx. 10Mb) but nothing of it is used.
> When I try to delete the volume I get an error message 0x0000002 and "it"
> says "volume "home.student" exists on partition /vicepa of server
> afs.depauw.edu, but has no corresponding VLDB entry. VLDB is possibly out
> of date; if so use the Synchronize VLDB command to update it
>
> I tried to synchronize the VLDB but got the same errorcode.
>
> btw the volume "home.student" appears to exist several times.

If the volume has no VLDB entry, then you won't be able to refer to it by
name.  You should be able to refer to it by ID, though, and if it appears
with several names and different ID's, you'll end up having to do that
anyway.

If you don't actually care about the volume and just want to delete it, you
can use 'vos zap' to remove the volume itself without trying to update the
VLDB.  Of course, you'll still have to refer to it by ID, since the name
lookup requires a VLDB entry.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer