[OpenAFS] backup suggestions

Michael Loftis mloftis@wgops.com
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:01:51 -0700

(cut down on the CC list)

--On Friday, January 23, 2004 17:23 -0800 "Jason C. Wells"
<jcw@highperformance.net> wrote:

> Using amanda, if one accessed the files to be backed up through the AFS
> client, then one would be backing up files and not AFS volumes.  Files
> would be presumably smaller.  Also, files would only be backed up at a
> certain dump level if the file was modified.
>
> A volume would almost always be modified, and therefore almost always
> backed up.  Volumes are bigger than files and present certain
> difficulties.  Consistency of a large volume under heavy use while being
> backed up by amanda is something I would look closely at.

Think of volumes more like partitions or filesystems that you'd dump with
dump or dumpe2fs or vxvfsdump or whatever your particular flavor uses.

You still wind up with the same problem using amanda with tar, amanda still
has single tape limitation.

--
Undocumented Features quote of the moment...
"It's not the one bullet with your name on it that you