[OpenAFS] OpenAFS + Linux +XP

Theo van den Bout theoml@arum.et.tudelft.nl
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:10:53 +0100

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Theo van den Bout wrote:
>

>>> Of the following list what do you believe are requirements imposed
>>> by AFS and which are
>>> requirements imposed by your environment?
>>>
>>> OpenAFS on Windows  does not require the creation of any additional
>>> accounts
>>> than the ones your users already have in a pre-existing Windows
>>> domain and the
>>> AFS cell.
>>>

>> We don't have a pre-existing windows domain.
>>
>> I need roaming profiles because that's the only way the students can
>> configure their own
>> dekstop, set defaults etc. Right?
>>
>> And we can only do that when we start using a domain which we sofar
>> have managed to avoid.
>>
>> The accounts only exist in AFS, nowhere else.
>>

>> Theo
>
> do you need roaming profiles?  or do you need the profile directory to be
> sitting on AFS?  The two concepts are quite different.

They are?

I want my students to be able to change their settings and have good
defaults,
independent of the PC they are workig on.
Afaik, i need the roaming profiles for this. If there is some other way
then i would
like to hear about it.

I also have to worry about security. I can't have
password-less accounts so everybody can get in and then have
them use klog + scripts (or something similar ) to get the
drive-mappings/profiles right.

> As for using Samba as a gateway to AFS I have been advised that this
> should
> be avoided due to differences in the file lock semantics which could lead
> to file corruption if you ever do have files accessible by both CIFS and

Noted.

>  Not to mention using a single Samba server as the
> gateway to the AFS world will produce significant performance issues.

I will have a single samba server *per domain*. But i suppose i can make
as many
domains as i  want.  :)

The best
Theo