[OpenAFS] how to upgrade to 1.3.x ?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:12:46 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear wrote
>
> > if you're replacing the same system, keep /usr/afs/db/* and
> > /usr/afs/etc/*, and replace the binaries, keep the vice partitions intact.
>
> Thanks, but I still didn't manage it.
>
> I made exactly that on an otherwise new root partition with a completely
> new system and OpenAFS 1.3.52 compiled and installed freshly.
>
> Still I get this - driving my nuts - error
> All services started
> Lost contact with volume location server .... (this is localhost)

it shouldn't be localhost, it should be the fqdn of localhost, otherwise
you screw yourself. but i assume you mean it's the same host rather than
"localhost".

> Can't mount AFS on /afs (22)
>
> I've seen this error message dozens of times on different systems.

and like i said before, it means different things, all boiling down to
"couldn't mount"

in this case, no vlserver. is the vlserver running? is the client asking
it anything? is the server answering?

> Please tell me how I can debug this.
> I'm not sure if erasing even the /vicep? partitions and starting from
> the very beginning would help.

don't assume client problems are server problems.