[OpenAFS] Re: Problem gssklog 0.9 - AFS K5

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:08:21 -0500

Marco Mililotti wrote:

> Hi,
>   here at Caspur we are using gssklog since version 0.6. We have recently
> migrated to AFS+Kerberos 5 (Heimdal) and upgraded to gssklog 0.9.

BTW there is a version 0.11. ftp://achilles.ctd.anl.gov/pub/DEE/gssklog-0.11.tar

>   The problem is that gssklogd replies with:
>         binding socket: Address already in use
>   It seems that it's trying to bind to port 750.

Kerberos V4 used only UDP. Recent versions of Kerberos V5 can use UDP or TCP.
Kerberos v4 use port 750. Kerberos V5 uses port 88, but a dual KDC can also respond
on port 750 for historical reasons.

Port |    UDP     |    TCP
------------------------------
750  | V4         |   Not used
 88  | V5         |     V5

gssklog used 750 TCP as it was to run on the AFS database servers, and
as Kerberos V5 was being added to AFS, the KDC would be on different machines.
Thus there should be no other uses of port 750 TCP on an AFS server.

So I suspect that you have a Heimdal KDC running on the AFS server, and it
is listing on port 750 TCP. Since the V4 would never use TCP, and V5 uses
port 88 the KDC should not need to listen on 750 TCP.

Hopfully these is a way to tell the KDC to not use 750 TCP. Or you can start
the gssklogd before the KDC.

> Does version 0.9 support the integration of K5 in AFS?

Yes and no. It still returns an AFS token which looks like a V4 ticket
but the gssapi is based on V5. The real integration of V5 means that there does
not need to be a gssklogd or krb524d. Newer versions of the clients like aklog
or afslog can parse the V5 ticket to get what is needed for the token without
having to use a remote daemon.

There may still be a use for daemon if you need to have principals mapped
where the AFS cell name does not match the Kerberos realm.
I have not looked at upgrading the gssklogd to do this. If there is interest
I can do it, and would use RX instead of straight TCP.

--

 Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
 Argonne National Laboratory