[OpenAFS] fileserver problem on 1.2.11 and SuSE 9.0

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:53:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Lewis, Dave wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. We tried the fileserver from src/viced and
> the problem did stop. We have moved many gigabytes of data between
> different volumes on the server, with no apparent loss of data or
> hangups.  We don't have any exact measurements but the fileserver
> seemed a bit slower.

It is.

> I'm wondering, where do we go from here? Is this fileserver a
> viable long-term solution for a production server?  We will
> have to decide soon whether to 1) downgrade from SuSE 9.0 to 8.2
> (which we know to work well with OpenAFS) or 2) to wait for a fix
> or 3) continue using this fileserver.

Before, you could setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1 and use the tviced
(pthreads) fileserver and all would be well. I bet that isn't true
anymore.

> Is there anything else that we should try to help to identify the
> problem?

If you feel like debugging the pthreads implementation you have and
figuring out how it's different from every other implementation, well, I
suspect you don't, but that's what's needed.