[OpenAFS] volume and file size

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:39:58 -0400

On Sunday, June 13, 2004 23:16:18 -0400 Dj Merrill
<deej@thayer.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
>> - The size of volumes is a complicated question.  No volume may have a
>>  quota larger than 2^31-1 blocks, with each block representing 1K of
>>  storage (for the math-impaired, that's 2TB).  However, volumes may
>>  have infinite quota, in which case any amount of storage may be used.
>>  Some other information about disk usage is also stored in 32-bit
>>  fields, so information about the amount of storage used by a volume
>>  may take on nonsensical volumes once more than 2^31-1 blocks are used,
>>  if the fileserver lets you do that at all.
>
> Hi Jeffrey,
> 	I'm quite glad to hear this.  Where did I come up with
> an 8GB volume size limit?  Was there a limit previously,
> and it has since been "fixed" ?

You probably read it in the IBM AFS 3.6 release notes.

Yes, there was such a limit -- if you had a volume bigger than that, then
IBM support could laugh at you tell you to go away.

Yes, we fixed it -- we reserve the right to laugh at you regardless of what
size volumes you're using.  But we usually won't tell you to go away. :-)

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer