[OpenAFS] defaults for winclients

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:50:37 -0400

Brian,

At 10:44 AM 6/16/2004, Brian Jones wrote:
>are there any situations where accepting the default options when
>installing the openafs client for windows (1.3.64) are not recommended?  i
>think enabling afs crypt security and the freelance client are currently
>both selected.

The current available client OpenAFS 1.3.6400 has two known issues.  The
Freelance option works for most sites, except where your site name is
"uncc".  Is has been recently found in testing that the crypt option is
problematic on machines where you have P4 hyperthreading enabled.  So from
what I gather, unless your site is "uncc" and you are running on a
hyperthreaded processor with hyperthreading turned on, you should be ok
with these OpenAFS options.

Jeffrey Altman may step in an correct me if I have incorrectly summarized
these facts.

Rodney