[OpenAFS] multiple NAT clients, now losing contact

Matthew Turk mturk@astro.psu.edu
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:57:19 -0400 (EDT)

> Matthew pointed out that his machine has a
> net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_udp_timeout setting that should be usable
> for this purpose.

Having done this, we had no problems for a few hours -- no losing contact
or anything -- but now the forwarding system begins to have trouble
contacting file servers (Lost contact with file server xx.xx.xx.xx in cell
) and has begun commenting that the file server is multi-homed.  However,
this isn't true -- the file servers it loses contact with is NOT
multi-homed.

Our setup is such -- we have three public servers, one of which acts as a
gateway to a private subnet (only packets to the other public servers are
forwarded.)  As soon as attempts are made to access and modify files on
more than one of the private subnet clients, the entire system begins to
fail; locks are lost, files aren't synced, etc.  I've tried setting the fs
checks -interval to very low values -- 30, 15, etc, but it continues to
fail whenever more than one of the subnet clients tries to access a file.

Any ideas?

mjt