[OpenAFS] Afs and arcfour

David Botsch dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:30:34 -0400

Kerb5 would be a good thing. There seems to be a reason that we don't
want to install KfW on windows (perhaps some sort of conflict with the
Cornell Kerberos received through Bear Access). I'll have to find out
what that was and if it is still a valid reason.

At the moment, principals corresponding to users who have changed their
passwords will have both (and if we can get Windows authing against the
MIT kerberos server going, they will have a 3rd, one of the des-cbc-md5
or the arcfour):
Triple DES cbc mode with HMAC/sha1, no salt
DES cbc mode with CRC-32, AFS version 3

The AFS principal itself has:
DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt

So, sounds like I might need to change that (but do I really?) and then
generate a new KeyFile entry using the krb5 migration kit?

Yes, MIT Kerb5 is suppsoed to support rc4-hmac, but, with the following
in my kdc.conf:

[realms]
  CCMR.CORNELL.EDU = {
   key_stash_file = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/.k5.CCMR.CORNELL.EDU
   master_key_type = des-cbc-crc
   supported_enctypes =
des3-cbc-sha1:normal,des-cbc-crc:afs3,des-cbc-md5:normal,arcfour-hmac-md5:normal
  }

Now, let's change the password for a user:

kadmin.local:  cpw bozo
Enter password for principal "bozo": Re-enter password for principal
"bozo": Password for "bozo@CCMR.CORNELL.EDU" changed.

Ok, does he have all the encryption types specified above? No. Arcfour
is missing.

kadmin.local:  getprinc bozo
Principal: bozo@CCMR.CORNELL.EDU
Expiration date: [never]
Last password change: Thu Jun 24 16:24:58 EDT 2004
Password expiration date: [none]
Maximum ticket life: 0 days 10:00:00
Maximum renewable life: 0 days 00:00:00
Last modified: Thu Jun 24 16:24:58 EDT 2004
(bozo/admin@CCMR.CORNELL.EDU)
Last successful authentication: [never]
Last failed authentication: [never]
Failed password attempts: 0
Number of keys: 3
Key: vno 10, Triple DES cbc mode with HMAC/sha1, no salt
Key: vno 10, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, AFS version 3
Key: vno 10, DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5, no salt

Hopefully, I'm missing something obvious, here?

--
David William Botsch