[OpenAFS] Chroot in afs?

Tino Schwarze openafs-info.lists@tisc.de
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:32:54 +0100

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 02:12:00PM +0100, Carlos J. Montero Mendoza wrote:

> I would like to know if is it possible to make a chroot over a user home directory in afs.
> Iīm planning to use afs for store all the counts of my system, but i donīt want that the users can see the whole cell, only their directories. Is it possible? Thanks very much.

A chroot in AFS is not possible since some special files are not
supported: pipes, sockets and devices. In principle it would be possible
but you usually need some of these files for a chroot environment to
work.

But there is another possibility: Just set the ACLs appropiately, then
the users cannot see anything but their home directory (and the path
leading to it).

Bye, Tino.