[OpenAFS] Server freezes

Michael Raitza m.raitza@gmx.net
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:44:48 +0100

Hi,

I've got a similar problem.
I get the "unable to handle kernel paging request at address...." errors too, under certain circumstances that, I found out, are reproduceable.

The crashing service is NOT always the same, e.g. the "kswapd".

I'm using a patched 2.4.22 linux kernel and openafs 1.2.10. I am NOT using another than an ext2 partition for the cache.

The error first occured as I transfered several Gigs of files, not volumes, from one volume to another using the AFS Client installed on the server. At about 2GiB, I got the error, and the server refused to work completely, no clean shutdown possible.

First I thought it was a bug in the Cache Manager, so I enlarged the cache partition, error at about 2GiB.
Then I regularly stopped the copy process and cleaned the cache, that worked.

Later I copied another several Gigs of Data, but from a remote client. I got the error at about 2 or 3 GiB.

So I think the error seems to be at the server side, isn't it?

regards,

Michael Raitza