[OpenAFS] "FSYNC_clientInit temporary failure" fails to be temporary

Jon Larsson jla@kth.se
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:31:50 +0100

Hi!

After having used AFS from the client side for a number of years, I'm
currently in the process of setting up my first server (on an i386 Debian
Woody system). I've followed the instructions in the quick start guide
together with the ones on http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=816.

I've now reached the point where I'm to create the fs instance. The
anticipated "FSYNC_clientInit temporary failure (will retry)" appears, with
a trailing ": Connection refused". What's odd is, that it doesn't stop. I've
now left it for an hour or so, and that same message appears over and over
again at regular intervals. After every five such messages, a
"FSYNC_clientInit failed (giving up!): Connection refused" is printed, and
the fs instance exits with an error and restarts. I've also tried manually
stopping and restarting the server, but to no avail.

Below follows output from bos status.

putte:/# bos status putte -long -noauth
Bosserver reports inappropriate access on server directories
Instance ptserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
     Process last started at Sat Mar 13 12:12:45 2004 (4 proc starts)
     Last exit at Sat Mar 13 12:12:45 2004
     Command 1 is '/usr/lib/openafs/ptserver'

Instance fs, (type is fs) currently running normally.
     Auxiliary status is: file server running.
     Process last started at Sat Mar 13 12:20:51 2004 (30 proc starts)
     Last exit at Sat Mar 13 12:20:51 2004
     Last error exit at Sat Mar 13 12:20:51 2004, by vol, by exiting with code 1
     Command 1 is '/usr/lib/openafs/fileserver'
     Command 2 is '/usr/lib/openafs/volserver'
     Command 3 is '/usr/lib/openafs/salvager'

Instance buserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
     Process last started at Sat Mar 13 12:12:45 2004 (2 proc starts)
     Last exit at Sat Mar 13 12:12:45 2004
     Command 1 is '/usr/lib/openafs/buserver'

Instance vlserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
     Process last started at Sat Mar 13 12:12:45 2004 (2 proc starts)
     Last exit at Sat Mar 13 12:12:45 2004
     Command 1 is '/usr/lib/openafs/vlserver'

Any kind of help with this is appreciated.

	/ Jon

Jon Larsson         |     jla@kth.se, www.nada.kth.se/~jla/
M.Sc. student       |   Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
Computer Science    |                     Stockholm, Sweden