[OpenAFS] Solaris unlink removes AFS mount points

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:39:23 -0500

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 18:32, Renata Maria Dart wrote:
> For an ordinary filesystem, the root account has the "appropriate
> privileges" to unlink directories.  However, root should have no
> special privileges in AFS filesystems.  So we don't think that AFS
> should permit the unlink system call to remove AFS mount points either
> for root or non-root users.

I would argue there's no reason to worry about it.  Local directories
require root permission because exercising unlink(2) directly on one
will damage the filesystem unless done properly (i.e. insure directory
contains only "." and "..", unlink "." and ".." entries, unlink
directory).  As an AFS mountpoint is really just a symlink, one cannot
cause volume corruption by unlinking it directly.

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu