[OpenAFS] ICMP packets

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:07:23 -0800

Thanks for the lead on Bellovin's book.

I'm getting an "ERROR: Problem at version: wrong type for that item" on port
88 (KRB5). ICMP is not involved. I'm using kaserver.

Other than that everything seems to be working fine.

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Garance A Drosihn
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 10:49 AM
To: Derek Atkins; Derrick J Brashear
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] ICMP packets

At 12:17 AM -0500 3/18/04, Derek Atkins wrote:
>Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>
>>>  Normally a firewall would drop pings.
>>
>>  Only if you configure them to.
>
>And such a firewall is configured incorrectly.

However, some firewwalls are configured to "throttle" ICMP packets,
as a safeguard to various DOS problems that pop up.  In that case,
it's hard to argue that they are configured "wrong"...  By "hard
to argue", I mean I can talk until I'm blue in the face, but the
person responsible for the firewall is not going to change anything.