[OpenAFS] Salvage and .gconf lock and other problems with OpenAFS 1.2.10 and 1.2.11

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:31:43 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Renata Maria Dart wrote:

> >> was using so much cpu, no vos commands would complete.
> >>
> >> I ended up doing a bos shutdown, which responded quickly and cleanly.
> >> I upgraded to 1.2.11 and rebooted the system.
> >
> >no guesses on this one, either, at least not without more information.
> >

> I do have 3 runs of showProcInfo for the high cpu fileserver situation.
> Would they be of any help?

Probably not much, if at all.
> >*if* the problem is caused by a fileserver restart (crash would be a
> >subset of that) perhaps it would make sense. peoploe have reported this
> >problem without a fileserver crash and i didn't think of "did the
> >fileserver restart".
> >
> >basically, a reproducible test case would go miles towards finding an
> >answer.
>
> I think there are two .gconf lock file issues going on.  The one is where
> a gnome user finds a lock file that needs to be removed before they can
> launch their gnome session, they remove the lock file, and then they can
> proceed.  We have been experiencing that for some time now and we haven't
> seen any obvious connection with an event that might cause it.  The other

That's not an AFS problem and isn't the one i'm talking about.

> more recent .gconf problem that we have been seeing concerns the same lock
> file that needs to be removed before the user can launch a gnome session,
> but in this new case the lock file can't be removed unless the users home
> directory is salvaged.  This latest problem seems to be connected with
> unclean fileserver restarts.

Yes. And I'm still looking for a simple test case on this one.
(And I don't think it's "unclean" so much as "fileserver restarts", but
I'm guessing)