[OpenAFS] Problems with 1.3.61 in Windows 2000

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@columbia.edu
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:14:58 -0500

--------------070103030701090804090706

If winlogin.exe is crashing it is because of the afslogon.dll
which is being loaded by the registry value

    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order
       ProviderOrder

Remove "TransarcAFSDaemon" from the list and the problem
should be removed but Integrated Logon will no longer work.

I have tested this configuration on Windows 2000 and have seen
no problems.  I would be interested in knowing if you have the
same problem with the DEBUG build

    http://web.mit.edu/~jaltman/Public/OpenAFS/

If so, there should be a crash log in the registry which would
contain a stack trace with symbols that could help identify the
source of the problem on your system

Jeffrey Altman

James Burns wrote:

>I tried installing the latest version to see if any of the changes
>affected the problems I was previously posting about here. Instead upon
>reboot I was greeted by a Visual C++ runtime buffer overflow and
>subsequent crash of winlogin.exe. This of course leads to a reboot of the
>machine. I did not have integrated login enabled, but do have a UareU
>fingerprint alternate login device. This problem did not exist in 1.3.59
>(which simply didn't start as noted previously). When I restarted in safe
>mode, after logging in there was a dialogue about how the AFS Client
>didn't start. Uninstalling OpenAFS fixed the crash during normal login.
>Something seems to be pretty broken.
>
>-James

--------------070103030701090804090706

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
because of the afslogon.dll<br>
which is being loaded by the registry value<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ProviderOrder<br>
Remove "TransarcAFSDaemon" from the list and the problem <br>
should be removed but Integrated Logon will no longer work.<br>
I have tested this configuration on Windows 2000 and have seen<br>
no problems.&nbsp; I would be interested in knowing if you have the <br>
same problem with the DEBUG build <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://web.mit.edu/~jaltman/Public/OpenAFS/">http://web.mit.edu/~jaltman/Public/OpenAFS/</a><br>
If so, there should be a crash log in the registry which would <br>
contain a stack trace with symbols that could help identify the<br>
source of the problem on your system<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>
James Burns wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.44.0403231515490.12338-100000@arrakis.mydune.net"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap=""><font face="Bitstream Cyberbit">I tried installing the latest version to see if any of the changes