[OpenAFS] Fileserver process hung on startup

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:30:06 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, John Morris wrote:

> What I'm guessing is that, judging by the fileserver's complete
> unresponsiveness and that it's not even making system calls, that
> something is hanging up, maybe a system call?  Is there any
> documentation on the '-d #' argument to the fileserver executable's
> commandline?  What debug level could I give it so it would give me a
> clue what it's doing?  Where else can I look for debugging information
> besides the sources I listed in my first email (included below for a
> reminder)?

it won't really help. the debug messages probably won't give you a hint
where it's hanging.

attach before it hangs; better yet wrap fileserver itself with a shell
script which straces to a file.

I really like the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL idea; ps auxwwe |grep fileserver|grep
-v grep
and see if the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL variable is in the fileserver's
environment.